Wednesday, August 8, 2012

As you all know, I am casting David Linsey-Abaire's "Rabbit Hole" on August 27th with call backs only on August 28th.

I have been asked a lot of questions about my vision for this show.  At the back of the play, Linsey-Abaire states that one should avoid over-sentimentality when directing this play.  It is a sad play but should not be done with histrionics or it will flatten out and become a bad movie of the week.   No extra crying unless the script calls for it, no embracing or holding of hands.

It is very rewarding to me, as a director, that I already had this in mind before I came to the author's note.  This play is such an honest representation of the grieving process, and is so beautifully written, that even though the material is difficult, I fell in love with it. The humor in RH is the thing that makes it bearable and it is the thing that makes life bearable after the death of a loved one. I think RH represents the importance of family - whether you are blood related or just not.  After all, a family is a circle of friends who love you.  Love and laughter make grief bearable.  PERIOD.   

The characters in this play love and respect each other.  There are moments when they get angry at each other, but they are not caustic.  Even Becca's anger at Nat is tempered with caring and love.
That is all I want to say about the characters.  I would like you to come up with your own interpretation, remembering that these characters are real - don't overact them.  If we don't let the audience in on the love and caring of this family they will leave the theater.

Hope to see lots and lots of you at audition:)

No comments:

Post a Comment